Friday, June 22, 2012

Everyone's a critic.

As soon as your pregnancy starts showing, be prepared for EVERYONE to give you unsolicited advice. My favorite was from people who don't have kids of their own.

From this camp, I got:

* Ooh, do you think you should be eating that--is that fruit organic? That deli sandwich has listeria. Eating peanuts while you're pregnant will give the baby allergies.
* You should get more exercise, labor will be easier.
* You're NOT doing natural childbirth? Gasp.
* My favorite, the first week my daughter was home: You're changing that diaper all wrong. (From a sibling who'd never babysat much less had a child.)

Now, I'm not saying some of the advice wasn't sound. Or that I knew it all and didn't need advice. Because with each new day, with each new discovery about myself and my daughter, I have learned how little I DO know. I have been blessed to know many men and women, parents and not, who have passed on wisdom, humor, and insight that has saved me many times over.

But seriously, until I ask, don't offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment